Be One Of Our Next Installation ForemenWork Hard, Reap Rewards, Breathe Fresh Air Every Single Day.
Why Work At University Sprinklers?
In our seasonal industry, you can earn full-year income, with the potential of additional work in the off-season, if you choose.
Do you want to work with an established, reputable and growing company that pays its employees well? Does your ideal job present opportunities for advancement, personal and professional growth, a strong up-side earning potential, and flexible schedule that still leaves time in the off-season for travel, post-secondary studies, your favourite sports and other lifestyle pursuits?
Does this sound like you?
- You are happy to work outdoors in all weather
- You are physically fit and like to work hard
- You work well in a team, and can communicate with other crew and clients in a positive, respectful, and courteous manner
- You are honest, trustworthy, respectful and presentable
- You are self-motivated and have demonstrated a solid work ethic
- You have a pro-active, hard-working and flexible can-do attitude
- You are 21 years or over.
We are hiring Installation Foremen for Spring 2016.
University Sprinklers is the largest irrigation and landscape lighting installation and service company in Canada. We have a dedicated team of over 100 employees, offering services to over 10,000 commercial and residential clients, from Whistler to Hope, on the Sunshine Coast and on many of the Gulf Islands. Our head office is in Delta, but we offer service and installation from a network of over 65 decentralized service and installation vehicles.
A strong commitment to quality and customer service fuels our continued annual growth.
Interested? Apply Today.
Benefits of joining our Foreman Team include...
- A strong starting wage between $15-20 per hour (based on applicant’s skill set)
- Over-time hours available, but not mandatory
- Weekend, late night and early morning work schedules are available, but not required
- Paid training; in-house and on-the-job, plus industry-specific training and certifications (at our cost)
- Opportunity for quick advancement, with ambitious and professional behavior rewarded
- Dynamic and diverse locations and responsibilities
- A company vehicle and some work clothing provided
- A seasonal job which allows for travel, play, or school
Your job duties and responsibilities:
Your role is to receive instructions, based on needs communicated by the Sales Representatives, and ensure labour crew assists in installing and/or repairing irrigation and landscape lighting systems. Typical tasks include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate labour crew activities
- Ensure jobs are completed on time and within budget
- Work alongside labour and helpers
- Supervise labour crew in daily duties, quality & speed
- Determine whether labour crew have the required skills for the job
- Perform quality inspections to ensure that work is progressing satisfactorily
- Communicate University Sprinklers Safety Policy safety procedures to crew and ensure compliance
- Deal with work-related issues that employees may have, such as requests to take leave time or questions about promotions
- Give input on wages and promotion of labour crew
- Potentially pick up labour crew employees on way to job sites
- Track inventory, and purchase and pick up supplies and job-specific materials
- Give progress reports to sales representatives
- Demonstrate an aptitude for practical field / trades work, including physical labour and a basic understanding of plumbing, electrical and landscaping / gardening.
- Clearly communicate installation procedures to customers
- Be professional and courteous at all times.
Are you qualified? Here's what you need:
- Clean driving record
- Experience in a labour position is preferred but not necessary
- Knowledge of installation of irrigation systems and program controllers
- Knowledge of wiring and installing landscape lighting
- Knowledge of glue and installing pipes is valued
- The ability to operate tools and equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- The ability to work effectively in a team
- IIABC (Irrigation Association of BC) Certifications are a strong asset, but not necessary
- Construction-related trade experience and/or qualifications are an asset
- You must have a desire to build a career as a Foreman or a future Service Technician
- A basic understanding of computers and applications
- Good oral and written communication skills
- We are looking for a high standard of professionalism and character
- High school education is valued, however not necessary
- You need a desire to learn and teach.
University Sprinklers is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applications without regard to race, sex, age, colour, religion, national origin or any other characteristic protected by law.
Check out our comprehensive benefits package:
- A strong per hour wage of between $15-20 per hour (based on each applicant’s skill set)
- Paid overtime and stat holidays
- Potential for rapid internal promotion to Service roles
- A company-provided cell phone and vehicle
- Paid travel between job sites during the workday
- An annual $500.00 medical allowance to be spent at your discretion
- MSP (BC Medical Services Plan)
- Paid training and education for industry-specific certifications through industry associations like the IIABC
- Company apparel
Installation Foreman Role FAQs
What does my work week look like?
Your work day schedule is emailed to you the day before, and you then are expected to communicate the work schedule to your labour crew. Some weeks, you will work on the same site for days at a time, and other weeks, you may go from site to site. There is a lot of variety each week.
How long is each project?
It depends. Commercial projects may take up to at least one full week. Residential projects usually take 2 to 3 days to install.
Can I ask for time-off?
Yes, however, because this is a seasonal position, time-off is limited. Most importantly, you must book your time off at least one week in advance.
Do I need technical experience to become a Service Technician Trainee?
Yes, but it is easily acquired in the Foreman role.
Does the position require travel outside the local area?
Not usually. However, you could have the opportunity to travel long distance for 2-4 days at a time on special projects out of town
What support does University Sprinklers have to make me successful?
- We have the tools and equipment, either in your vehicle, or at the company headquarters in Delta, to complete any repairs or additions you are scheduled to perform.
- We have a strong training program and mentorship program that will guide you from your first day.
- We have supportive office staff to help with back-end compliance and paperwork.
- We have additional labourers and trained foremen available to assist with large quoted additions.
- We have an internal database and CRM (Customer Relations Management) programs to control costs, profit, and commissions.
- We have built up a solid network of suppliers who will offer you support and product-specific information.
- We have dedicated staff that have a long history in our industry who can offer advice about any type of quoted project you might price out, and who make themselves available to you 24-7.
Will I be driving a company vehicle?
Yes you will be assigned a company vehicle from our fleet. Fuel, repairs, maintenance are all paid for by us. Vehicles are monitored by GPS units linked to our office. The safe & professional operation of your vehicle is your responsibility. It is your responsibility to advise us if maintenance is required and office staff will schedule an appointment (we pay for it). Vehicles are parked at your home, in your neighbourhood.
Is travel time paid for?
Paid travel between job sites and to suppliers within workday. Time spent from home to the first site and from last site to home is not paid.
What is the season?
A typical season starts as early or late as March/April and ends as early as August/November, depending on weather. We are looking for applicants that can commit to working from March to November, but fully accept an August departure if you are enrolled in post-secondary school.
What do I need to supply?
Bring common sense, a good attitude, and a desire to learn. You must be able to communicate well and work efficiently. You must be punctual. And you need steel-toe boots.
Who would I report to?
You report to the sales representative responsible for the project you’re working. Also need to report to Chad Smith about schedule issues. You can meet the team here.